The pixie haircut continues to be a popular trend for women over the years. This style not only highlights facial features but also adds a distinctive touch to each woman. If you are a hairdresser or barber, it is essential to be familiar with this haircut to offer your clients a change of look in their next hair cut.
What is a pixie haircut?
It is a short haircut with a length that usually does not exceed 2-3 centimeters. It is mainly done on the top of the head, while the rest of the hair is layered to achieve a uniform look. Normally, this cut is done with a razor or scissors, depending on the preference of the hairdresser.
Benefits of a pixie haircut
- Easy to care for: One of the main reasons why the pixie haircut remains a trend is its ease of care. This style does not require much time or effort to maintain, making it an excellent choice for busy women looking for a practical look.
- Versatile: Women who choose the pixie haircut can enjoy an effortless style. This cut has a natural look, meaning that women can wear it outdoors and still look good.
- Flattering: The pixie haircut is flattering for many women. It exposes the neck and cheekbones, giving the impression of a slimmer and defined face. It is also excellent for highlighting the eyes and lips.
How to perform a pixie haircut
Cutting and maintaining a pixie is simple but requires preparation and the use of appropriate tools, such as scissors, combs, and brushes. Make sure the hair is clean and tangle-free before starting, as it could complicate the process. Even if necessary, make an initial cut to reduce the length. Then, define the contour of the hair, creating a straight line, and cut the top to the desired length, as well as the sides and the back to maintain a uniform length. Make final adjustments, adding highlights and color if necessary. Comb the hair to define the texture and shape, and consider leaving a long and messy fringe, especially for oval faces.
- Successfully map out and section the haircut
- Create a short textured shape and structure in the haircut
- Use a combination of texturing techniques to create movement
- Analyse natural hair movement and behaviour
- Intermediate to Advanced
- Layering & graduation techniques
- Hairline shaping
Despite the ease of pixie maintenance, it is important to provide some tips to your clients so they can showcase it to its fullest:
- Product education: Educate your clients on the importance of using quality products tailored to the pixie. Recommend specific shampoos and conditioners to preserve the shape and vitality of the cut, highlighting the difference these products can make in the overall appearance.
- Regular maintenance: Emphasize the importance of scheduling regular appointments to maintain the shape of the pixie. Explain how consistent maintenance helps avoid drastic changes and preserves the freshness of the style.
- Creativity with the fringe: If the pixie includes a fringe, share creative ideas on how to adapt it to different styles. Explore options for length and texture so that your clients can customize their look effortlessly.
The pixie haircut is an ideal choice for women looking for a makeover, wanting to save time on styling, and seeking to highlight their facial features. For this reason, it is important that this style be part of your repertoire of haircuts to meet the needs of your clients.
In Hair in Motion, we want to provide you with valuable information and practical tips to help you refine your skills and knowledge as a hairdresser. If you have any questions or wish to learn more about the latest trends in haircuts, feel free to contact us. We are here to support you in your quest for excellence in the world of hairdressing and barbering.