In many barbershops, it is becoming more and more common to offer their customers a good ritual when it comes to beard grooming. Many men believe that the only way to get a close and comfortable shave is with a hot towel shave. So ask yourself, do you want to offer a refreshing and luxurious shave in your barbershop? If you’re thinking about this service or upgrading one if you already have it, here are five reasons why you should start taking confidence, working on it and offering it to your customers today!
Advantages of hot towel shaving
- Opens pores: Hot towels open the pores and soften the hair, allowing for a closer shave.
- Exfoliates: Because of the pore being open, each time the blade passes removes up to four times more dead skin cells.
- Removes ingrown hairs: Hot towels help prevent ingrown hairs by lifting the hair follicles away from the skin.
- Leaves skin soft: If you manage to do this every week, your client will notice more radiant skin because the skin cells will breathe better and better.
- Time to perform: Once you get the hang of it, hot towel shaving takes no more time than other methods. In fact, it may even be faster!
Take into account all five of these advantages and advise your clients to give it a try. If you are more interested in how to be a great professional, take a look at this hot towel shaving course we have prepared for you to achieve all your goals during a hot towel shave.
Learn the traditional hot towel shave done by Guest Artist Ben Duffy, master the techniques used by master shavers for centuries. In this tutorial, you will gain understanding in the correct steps to use for a beautiful clean hot towel shave with great tip.
- Prepare the skin correctly with a hot towel
- Use product to add moisture to the skin
- Analyse natural hair movement and behaviour in the beard
- Use classic barbering shaving techniques with the straight razor
- Keep the client comfortable and clean
- Straight razor technique
- Applying product
- Correct client body position
- Health and safety
- Straight razor
- Product appliance
- Skin movement knowledge
Click here and get started with all the learning.
Quick guide to what you need to have on hand and do
Start by warming up some towels, to begin you will need two towels in total: one for the face and one for the neck. While the towels are warming up, get your client’s face ready, this will help soften the hair and prepare the skin for shaving.
Next, apply the hot towel to the client’s face. Leave it on for a few minutes to soften the hair and open the pores. Then remove the towel and spread shaving cream or soap on the face’s area you wish to shave. Be sure to use a brush to make good foam.
With the razor, start shaving in the direction of hair growth and be very careful on sensitive areas, such as the neck. Then apply another hot towel to your face to soothe any irritation, and finish by rinsing your face with cool water and applying a balm or lotion to moisturise your skin.
There is nothing like the tradition of a hot towel shave, and if you want to offer your clients a very special experience, learn all the steps here, and you will be able to offer your clients a service that is second to none.
At the end, your clients will be delighted that you offer them this traditional barbering technique with the best results.